June 21, 2011

Inside Francis Manapul’s New Flash #1 (UPDATED)

Category: Flash News — By @ 12:05 am

DC released art from the upcoming Flash relaunch over the weekend at the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo, and guest Francis Manapul revealed a few scraps of information.

First up: This amazing splash page from Flash #1 at CBR.

Be sure to click through and see the high-resolution version. It’s absolutely incredible. (Have I mentioned how much I like Francis Manapul’s art lately?)

Bleeding Cool reports from the DC Nation panel:

Francis Manapul confirmed Barry Allen is the Flash, with no word on the rest of Flash family, but that to expect Wally West at some point. A new villain was created for first arc, but Grodd will be along shortly. The costume will stil be kept in the ring, but will form around him in a different fashion. Flash’s costume is generated in pieces and fits together along the seams of the Jim Lee design, with lightning comes out of the seams.

I’m glad to hear that the first arc’s villain really is a new villain, and it should be interesting to see how Barry deals with the newer, more savage Grodd of modern times (or will Grodd himself be re-invented again?).

I think this is the first mention I’ve seen that Wally West actually exists in the post-relaunch universe, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for him to show up. DC’s used up all the benefit of my doubt regarding Wally over the last couple of years, just like they came dangerously close to using up all the benefit of my doubt regarding The Flash until they announced Manapul and Buccellato as the creative team.

Anyway, back to the costume. Bleeding Cool also has a set of blurry photos from the panel, originally posted at The Daily Blam, including another fully-colored view of the costume and a few panels of it forming up.

UPDATE: The Source has released a clear image of the costume in the post congratulating Manapul and Fiona Staples on their Shuster awards.

I like the boots better in this version. They look less clunky than they did in the Converse ad.

The mask still bugs me, though, not just the chin strap but the corners at the cheeks that have become narrow slits in this version. I think I figured out why: it makes his face look too closed. The closed-off look worked for Walter West and sort of works with Wally’s new costume, but in general I think the Flash’s face should be more open.

20 responses to “Inside Francis Manapul’s New Flash #1 (UPDATED)”

1. Chris says:

That’s an incredible splash page, Francis’s work is always amazing to see. I’m hoping Wally and his family will be in the book along with Jay Garrick, but the question is will Wally get another costume change since Barry’s new costume looks similar to Wally’s recent costume update? (From The Flash Rebirth)

2. Ken O says:

Wow. That’s a great looking picture. The shots of the new costume change are a interesting. Not sure what to think of it yet.

3. Thunderbolt_005 says:

Just when I am feeling jaded … something like thjis happens and I get a feel of bubbling excitement about thew Flash series again.

It also helped that Wally was mentioned. I would like to see Jay in a mentoring role recalling exploits from his JSA days like The Owl from Watchmen.

I doubt it, but I would like to see Wally move on from the Flash role. If he can’t own it he needs to “Nightwing” and become something else. Maybe to return to the role later.

4. Dylan says:

The Flash headshot in the ‘H’ looks EXACTLY like an old wally cover.

5. Dylan says:

Yeah, it was #246. Yet another cheap shot.

6. I.Strange says:

As I recall, someone *asked* if we’ll see Grodd. Ditto, Wally. Manapul’s response was non-committal. He was uber cautious about revealing too much.

7. Fastest says:

I’m really happy that we still get to see Barry’s eyes. I like seeing a Flash’s eyes. Wally’s whited out are kind of creepy. When you can see a Flash’s eyes, I imagine you would trust him more when he’s saving you. You could see the sincerity in his eyes.

So anyway, I’m happy we can see Barry’s eyes still.

I am NOT happy that Bart has red eyes, but that’s for another post.

8. married guy says:

I love that new image!
    The design is still virtually Wally/Flash, but that’s probably why I like it so much.
    I never liked Barry’s belt & thought the lightning V looked much better.

9. TheFlash1990 says:

Wow! That looks amazing! Best pics I’ve seen of Barry’s new look yet. Very excited. 😀

10. TheFlash1990 says:

Boots look good here. Looks like THE FLASH. 😀

11. The Dude says:

Does anybody think that the supervillains in the teaser image might be redesigned Rogues ???

12. Markus says:

Heard the new villain will be a Filipino.. Hhmm.. Lets all keep our eyes peeled!