July 3, 2013

Iris Suits Up in Flash #22

Category: Flash News — By @ 9:07 am

Iris in the Speed Suit

The latest What’s New in the New 52 feature at DC’s website features two preview pages from Flash #22, coming at the end of the month. I saw the thumbnail and briefly wondered if we were getting a surprise return of Jesse Quick, then saw the headline and wondered whether Iris might have been keeping a secret from her time in the speed force. Bob Harris writes:

If you’ve been reading THE FLASH, you know that the current story arc features a mysterious “Speed Force killer.” Well, in order to keep his good friend safe from this elusive murderer, Barry must find a way to make Iris undetectable to whoever is committing these crimes. Using a method similar to how he constructed his own suit, Barry makes a special protective suit for Iris that will prevent the killer from sensing the Speed Force energy in her. And while Iris doesn’t have speed powers, this suit allows her to comfortably travel at super speed.

Click through to the article to see the second page of the preview, and Iris’ reaction to super-speed. Amazing art by Francis Manapul, but by now, who’s surprised by that?

12 responses to “Iris Suits Up in Flash #22”

1. Brandan says:

I just…I don’t want to be pessimistic but damn if this doesn’t scream bad idea.

2. perplexio says:

I initially read this and thought to myself, “Oh cool they’re bringing Irey West back as Impulse after all… The I realized we’re in the New 52 and Irey & Jai West will probably never exist in this continuity… For that matter it doesn’t look like Linda Park will either… I’m still keeping my fingers crossed for Wally to come back some way/somehow…

• Kyer says:

Not going to happen (they won’t even let Wally return in that JL3000 book…a whole other century away so why would they let him return here?)
      With the exception of the head piece with goggles, I like the new suit even better than Barry’s own. Again the art is fantastic, the story looks like it’s going to be great.

And….I’m not going to be getting it.

(Seeing those thumbnails with Iris in a suit….somehow it just brought home all over again how much I miss the old universe and West family. In other words, seeing Barry and Iris makes me think of Wally, Max, Jay…and all that does is make me grieve. Unless there some wind of graphic violence, that’s the *sole* reason I’m passing on this. Maybe a decade or so from now the pain will go away, but this just showcased for me that I’m still nowhere near over the loss. That said, I think that anyone who does pass on this is an idiot.)

• Lee H says:

Keith Giffen said that Wally never crossed his mind for the team line-up, so it’s not a case of DC not letting him use the character.

3. CraigM says:

Am I the only one who wants to see Iris become a full time speedster (hopefully with a name better than “Lady Flash”)? Maybe she could take over for Barry. Or get her own spin-off book. I’d read it that for sure.

4. TheFlash1990 says:

This looks amazing. Can’t wait to get!!