A couple of years ago, I wrote about cutting down the pull list by figuring out what I really liked reading, as opposed to what I just bought out of habit. This was followed up by a harsher test: if you could only buy three comics, what would you choose? At the time, I picked The Unwritten, Madame Xanadu, and The Unknown. Yes, at the time, The Flash wasn’t in my top three.
I found myself thinking about this again. Two of those series are gone, and I’m enjoying The Flash a lot more than I used to. What would my choices be today?
- The Flash, definitely. While I didn’t care much for Flash: Rebirth, the ongoing series has proved to be a fun adventure.
- The Unwritten. I think we’re approaching the half-way point with this series, which continues to be fascinating, thought-provoking, entertaining, and occasionally downright creepy as it explores the way stories shape the world. This book was one of my picks for the Read This Too! recommendation.
Those two are easy. The third one? That’s the hard part. The two contenders are:
- Velocity. In the strictest sense of the question, I’d have to go with this one. It’s been a great story, and I want to see how it ends. But once that last issue comes out, I’d go with…
- Lady Mechanika, which is shaping up to be a good steampunk mystery/adventure.
Actually, since Lady Mechanika is bimonthly and Velocity’s finale will probably come out between its issues, I could probably make a case for them sharing the third slot!
So what missed the cut, and why?
- Farscape. I don’t like the New Jedi Order technique of having invaders destroy everything that’s previously been established about the universe, but I’m not ready to let go. That said, if I had to drop it, I’d happily rewind my personal canon to the end of Peacekeeper Wars.
- Halcyon. An intriguing (if flawed) miniseries, and I’d like to read the whole thing, but I wouldn’t miss it too much if I couldn’t get the last two issues.
- Fallen Angel. Somewhere around 15-20 issues into the IDW series, my interest level dropped, and I’m not sure why. It’s moved to a series-of-miniseries schedule, though, so there’s usually only a few issues each year.
- Starborn. Three issues in, I’m still deciding whether to stick with this ongoing book in the first place.
One miniseries, one new series, an old favorite and a continuation of a TV series. (I’m also buying Wheel of Time and Darkwing Duck, but I’m not the main person reading them, so I don’t think they should really count for my three.)
So…If you had to buy only three comics a month, what would you choose?