Okay, the previews had everyone buzzing – is that THE Eobard Thawne? What is he doing at Fast Track Labs? And, how did he get there in the first place? There is a LOT going on in this episode – so let’s get to a quick review!
I will try to get back on track with the timing as we go through the rest of the season. Wild week, with some great highs and one very low point. RIP to the best doggo ever, Roxy (15 years old). Still, my apologies for being late – stay tuned for more timely reviews.
Here’s a quick rundown on the episode:
- Eobard Thawne is the one person who could build “The Block”, the machine that could gives speed to someone. But THIS Eobard gives up his own chance at gaining superspeed in order to save Meena Dhawan as she went into cardiac arrest. It saves her, and grants her superspeed at the same time.
- At first, Meena can only go just under 4 minutes before running out of speed. She needs more power to run for longer, and with more of a boost from “The Block” she could also run faster. But, there is a problem.
- This machine is tapping into the Negative Speed Force. It takes Meena over, red eyes and “that voice” and all. She goes on a rampage, getting more electricity from more places until she comes to a hydroelectric dam.
- She defeats Barry and is ready to kill him, using the vibrating hand trick. So, who can save Barry?
- Eobard Thawne, that’s who! And yes, you heard me right. He was willing to sacrifice himself – but not just to save Barry. He loves Meena and wanted to save her from the influence of the negative speed force.
- It works! And we learn a little more about this version of Thawne. He is the Thawne from Flashpoint, later supposedly killed by the Black Flash. But, he was actually saved by Time Wraiths. They took his power, reeducated/reformed him, and left him to protect a particular fixed point in time. He eventually dies while saving the Legends – or at least it seemed. Possibly the Time Wraiths brought him to the present, and here is a VERY different Eobard Thawne.
- THREE SIDE STORIES:
- Diggle finally gives up that green glowing cube. It was NOT a Green Lantern ring, but a transmatter cube that was trying to take him over. Our other (dangerous) Thawne wanted to help him open the cube for his own purposes – but Diggle resists the influence of the cube and throws it away.
- Mark has a conversation with Caitlin, with an idea he has to bring Frost back. It looks like a drawing for a cryo-chamber…more on this to come in future episodes.
- The Tom Cavenagh Thawne is haunted by his battles with the Flash. But, there is a visitor that may be able to help him regain his speed. It’s the now-evil Deon/Still Force!
And, that’s where we leave things for this week.
- SO many Easter Eggs in this episode, particularly in Tom Cavenagh’s speeches. Loved it!
- The more Tom Cavenagh appears, the better he gets. This version of evil Thawne, stripped of his powers, seems more menacing than ever before. Brilliant acting – but that’s what we usually get from this terrific actor.
- LOTS of action this time. Yes there was a “choose love” resolution to Meena’s situation, but I like the idea of a heroic Meena rather than a villain.
- How much lightning can you put into an episode? Apparently a lot – and it works here.
This was a great episode with plenty of action, a HUGE swerve on the character of Thawne, and some excellent leads for upcoming episodes. I’ll give this a 10/10. Of course, that’s just my opinion. What do YOU think? Leave your comments below!