It’s been a great nine seasons, but all good things must come to an end (to coin a phrase) and so it is with THE FLASH on the CW. This is the last of four episodes in the final arc, and the team pulled out all the stops (and used up all the special effects budget) to send off Team Flash in style. Wanna know more? Follow us after the jump!
SPOILERS AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
This won’t be a scene-by-scene breakdown – for one thing, there was simply TOO much going on to do that without a post that will go on forever. And, let’s be real, if you haven’t seen the finale you really should. Instead, here are some quick highlights.
- Eddie pulls together basically every bad-guy speedster from the history of the show, taking them just before their deaths to try one last time to defeat/kill Barry Allen.
- Team Flash has been powering up over the last season or two, especially so this season, and it pays off as they defeat all the speedsters Eddie called up.
- Eddie decides to absorb ALL the negative speed force – bad news for himself and for the timeline
- Barry goes into the negative speed force to save Eddie…and it works (you’ll have to see how for yourself)
- The rest of the show wraps up all story threads – including the birth of baby Nora…and future Nora gets to hold baby Nora (go figure).
- In the end, Barry shares his speed force connection with three new speedsters (Avery Ho, Max Mercury, Jess Chambers) – possible spin-off?
- And we say “Goodbye, Farewell and Amen” to THE FLASH
- Fans of the 1970’s and 80’s show M*A*S*H will recognize “Goodbye, Farewell and Amen” as the title of that series’ finale. Couldn’t resist putting it here…with apologies for being THAT old.
- This show brought back Jay Garrick (the good one), Timeless Wells, and even…well, a character from the original Team Flash that we haven’t seen in a while.
- If you like superspeed action, THIS was the episode for you. The special effects budget was overspent by a big margin to get this episode out…and I’m glad they did it.
I will miss this show. I’ve been reviewing every episode from the beginning (along with some great people on this site) and now I think I’ll go back and rewatch – this time without having to take notes for a review. I was around for the 1990’s show, and loved it…but THIS has been the best Flash I could have asked for. Grant Gustin will always be my Barry Allen – thank you to everyone associated with THE FLASH for a great run! I’ll give this a 10/10…just as much in memory of a great series as for a great finale. Of course, that’s just my opinion. what do YOU think? Leave your comments below!
For those old enough to remember, “Goodbye, Farewell and Amen” was the title of the Finale of M*A*S*H, a fantastic show from the 1970’s and early 1980’s.