Catching up on linkblogging…
- Losing Weight The Barry Allen Way! at Slay, Monstrobot of the Deep!!
- DCU Club Infinite Earth 2013 Pictures of including Wally West, Elongated Man, Larfleeze and more.
- That F’ing Monkey: Aw Yeah Comics
- Great fan art mashups for CSBG’s The Line it is Drawn #100 including Magneto vs the Borg and a lot more
- Justice League of the Wild West by Denis Medri
- DC steampunk by J.L. Straw at Ladies Making Comics
- Get Your Own Parody Comic Book Portrait! – Once Upon a Geek
- Art: MFA Superhero Typographic Classifications on the Behance Network – Superheroes drawn using letters and symbols from different styles of fonts.
- Davis Willis (Shortpacked!, Dumbing of Age) is working on a COIE homage poster featuring the Walkyverse and DoA versions of his characters. [Edit: linked to a post further along in the process.]
- A Compendium of Cool Comics Cosplay: August 3rd
- Fixing the cons of Comic-Con – UTSanDiego
- With SDCC over, SoCal comics fans can plan for fall events like Long Beach Comic and Horror Con and Stan Lee’s Comikaze. Here’s my Long Beach 2011 writeup and photos
Comics Industry Commentary
- Interesting thoughts: Vertigo Comics – A Decline of an Empire at The Weekly Crisis
- Thought-provoking article at The Beat: Why DC and Marvel will never truly target female readers. Don’t miss responses: Even Glaciers Melt at DC Women Kicking Ass and It Ain’t Over at Comic Book Grrrl.
- Grumpy Old Fan: Consequences, consistency and idea-making in a shared universe.
- Cartoonist Battles Frivolous Lawsuits with Comedic Protest – CBLDF on the Oatmeal/Funnyjunk/Carreon case
- The Hobbit being stretched into 3 movies reminds me of last year’s post, What If…Lord of the Rings had been an “Event” Comic?
- Interesting question & responses at Newsarama: Is Continuity Really A Draw For Superhero Universes?
- DC sales analysis for June at The Beat
- Read Comics in Public Day is coming up on August 28 (via The Beat)
- Dark Knight Rises: Bane as the Cumulative Villain – 4thletter
- It’s been nearly 5 years since Flash artist Mike Wieringo’s death. Honor his memory with a donation to The Hero Initiative on M-Day – Mark Gruenwald/Mike Wieringo Memorial (August 12)
- It turns out there’s a Tamaran Building in Pasadena, California.
- Wild Blue Yonder, a 5-issue miniseries by Zach Howard Mike Raicht Austin Harrison, looks like it could be cool. “In a post-apocalyptic society in the sky, Cola, a teenaged girl fighter pilot fights to protect The Dawn, her flying fortress and home.” They’ve been working on it off and on for a few years and are raising funds on Kickstarter to focus on the project, due for release next year.