September 17, 2010

Flash Cakes & GLO Balls from Hostess (Who Else?)

Category: Fun — By @ 12:01 am

Rickey Purdin’s discovery of Green Lantern GLO-Balls in the supermarket has been making the rounds of comics blogs this week, but he spotted another super-hero-themed snack at the same time: Flash Cakes.

OK, so the name doesn’t amuse the inner twelve-year-old. But it does call to mind those 1970s Hostess ads in which super-heroes, the Flash included, defeated villains with the power of Twinkies. Usually they were low-rent villains like the Bureauc-Rat, Destroyer, Medusa and Dr. Sorcery, but occasionally real villains like Mirror Master or the Penguin.

They’re also surprisingly close to convincing me to buy Hostess cupcakes for the first time in a decade, and I’m married to someone who can make considerably better cupcakes in her sleep. (Of course, she’d probably draw the Flash symbol on the top, rather than simply toss yellow sprinkles onto the red frosting.) Update: She did!

Oh, for the record:

20 responses to “Flash Cakes & GLO Balls from Hostess (Who Else?)”

1. Lia says:

Here’s a link to the Mirror Master Twinkie ad for those who haven’t seen it:

I think the next products should be snacks based on Flash and GL villains. Larfleeze has great potential.

2. Luke says:

We need a green-creme Oreo variant to tie in with the Martian Manhunter.

8 individually wrapped SCARY cakes? What’s so scary about them?!

3. liquidcross says:

If the cakes aren’t going to give you superpowers, then why bother even eating them?

4. Ken O says:

Searched all over for them last night hoping I could pick some up. The result? Flash Cake Failure.

5. Ken says:

I saw these in an ad in a DC comic that came out this week. I stared at the page for a full minute thinking, “I don’t really want to eat them, but I have to buy these.” How do I preserve them, though?

6. Mike W. says:

Where do you get those Hostess Cakes?

7. Charles says:

Dammit all! Now I have to go on at least a 3 county hunt for these things!:P That is unless I find them at the first hostess store I go to.

8. Ken says:

Hey guys; I forgot about Wonder Bread / Hostess outlets; there was one in my home town, and one near me now. I’m banking on them having the flash cakes. Here’s the store locator, pop in your zip and see if there’s one near you: http://www.bakeryoutlets.com/storelocator.asp

9. Ken says:

Went to the Hostess outlet; no luck, but they said it may be in next week, so I’ll try again then.

10. Ken II says:

Also, Hostess is having some sort of sweepstakes, be on a comic cover, comic subscriptions, and stuff, whatever. BUT you can play a Justice League game AS THE FLASH!!!

11. […] few weeks back I was doing my normal round of blog reading and caught this post  about DC related Hostess treats over at Speed Force.  I was amused and not just because the Green Lantern cupcakes were called, […]

12. Ken II says:

Finally found the flash cakes! Check your local Target! (But also check the expiration dates)