The Word Balloon podcast interviews Geoff Johns, and the writer talks about Flash: Rebirth, Blackest Night, and Legion of Three Worlds. Newsarama has a few excerpts, including this bit about reader reaction to Barry Allen’s characterization:
I love the discussion and debates, because I know where this story is going …I remember when we did The Sinestro Corps Wars, and Kyle at the end of the first issue was possessed by Parallax. People went crazy! They couldn’t believe how we could do this (laughs) …and Ethan was saying ‘We should tell them that he’s not going to be Parallax,’ and I said ‘No! Let them get riled up, because they should, but we know where this story ends.’ … In Flash: Rebirth, Barry is searching for the same answers…this story is trying to solve a crime, but Barry is moving much too fast to do that. [Emphasis added.]
The whole interview is about an hour long. I know what I’m going to be listening to at lunch!
Update: I forgot my headphones, so I had to wait until I got home to listen. 🙁
Things that stood out, Flash-wise:
- Trying to go against expectations
- Twist coming for Wally
- Flash is back, but Barry isn’t yet (figuratively speaking)
- Bart’s attitude toward the Rogues is sort of “Nyah, nyah, missed me!”
- Bart and Barry are in sync in terms of sensing that something’s wrong.
- Expanding the Flash mythos so that there could be more than one Flash book post-Rebirth