Or rather, what would have been Flash #500 if the series had never been renumbered. Flash Comics starring Jay Garrick ran 104 issues, and The Flash starring Barry Allen picked up that same numbering with #105 in 1959 and ran through #350. The relaunch in 1987 with Wally West started over with Flash #1. If DC had started Wally’s series with #351, instead of Flash vol.2 #150 this book would have been Flash #500.*
So why post this cover?
Because this is my 500th post on Speed Force!
To celebrate, and inspired by Major Spoilers’ Ten Superhero Party Drinks, my wonderful wife came up with a Flash drink — two versions, one alcoholic and one not.
Recipe: Flash Drink
- 4 oz Izze Pomegranate soda (or other red soda that goes well with cranberry)
- 2 oz cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 oz vodka (for non-alcoholic version, replace this with more cranberry juice)
- 1 Lemon
- Peel zest from entire lemon in one long spiral with vegetable peeler.
- Cut jagged bits into lemon peel to give it a zig-zag or lightning bolt look.
- Cut lemon peel strip in half crosswise (use one half for each of two drinks).
- Mix all liquid ingredients cold and pour into glass.
- Place lemon peel decoratively in glass.
Ideally, you should have something else you can use the rest of the lemon for.
*Yes, there was a Flash v.2 #0 in between issues #94 and #95, but all DC books that month were numbered #0, so it doesn’t figure into the sequence any more than annuals do.