November 25, 2009

More Flash Delays — Rebirth #6 Now Due January 27

Category: Flash News — By @ 1:04 pm

Well, the streak had to end sometime, and DC has rescheduled two upcoming Flash issues.

Before you freak out, Blackest Night: The Flash is still starting next week!

Flash: Rebirth #6 (thumb)However, DC has pushed Flash: Rebirth #6 from December 23 to January 27, 2010. That’s 10 weeks from the November 18 release of issue #5, comparable to the gaps between #3 and #4 (11 weeks) and between #4 and #5 (12 weeks). Flash: Rebirth #1–3 shipped on time, with 5 weeks between each issue.

January 27 came in fourth in the reader poll I ran a few weeks ago, with 14% of the vote. February came in first with 20%, and December 23 and “April or Later” tied for second. (I only listed specific dates for December and January.)

Meanwhile, Blackest Night: The Flash #2 has been given an extra week, and should ship January 20.

For now, Blackest Night: The Flash #3 is holding to its original date of February 17, so it should wrap in plenty of time for the Secret Files book in March and the new ongoing series in April.

Edit: Here’s my previous breakdown of the schedule, including the delays and the gaps. It’s current through the final release date of #5. At this point I’m going to wait until I have #6 in my hands before I update it.

New poll: Which will end first, Flash: Rebirth or Blackest Night: The Flash?

18 responses to “More Flash Delays — Rebirth #6 Now Due January 27”

1. CM22 says:

I’m not surprised in the least for rebirth. Kind of shocked at the extra week for issue 2 of BN:F though. Never known Kolins to need an extra week, makes me wonder if it’s him, or something to do with the over all story arc.

• Kelson says:

I know DC delayed a Blackest Night-related issue of Batman and Robin for purely story reasons, so that would make sense. On the other hand, Blackest Night itself isn’t shipping that month, so who knows?

2. Andrew says:

I imagine this will hurt sales, which is quite sad. I love EVS’s work, but I would rather see him do covers in the future rather than interiors given how long it sometimes takes him to finish a book.

3. mattchee says:

Not at all surprised. I’d make a guess that perhaps they put off announcing the delay because they thought folks would be less apt to buy #5 if they knew how long they had to wait for #6. Note: as soon as the #5 ceased to be new, they announce this.

I can understand keeping EVS on through the whole thing, and not getting fill-ins, etc (I think THAT would be even more upsetting)– but, why haven’t they at least brought in an inker to help speed things up? I mean, taking into account EVS’ hyper-detailed artwork, it’s NO WONDER this is taking so long, what with him penciling AND inking every page. I can only guess that there’s some sort of contractual or budget issue…
    .-= mattchee’s latest blog post: A Couple of Killers =-.

• Kelson says:

A few weeks ago, someone mentioned Scott Hanna inking the final issue, but I couldn’t find an official source on it. With this much time between #5 and #6, though, I’d assume EVS is still inking the whole thing.

4. Michael says:

figures. i was looking forward to number 6 shipping on time… ahh well. i might be broke by then…

5. papa zero says:

That’s it. I’m offially a Flash villian. Hand me a colorful costume, I want revenge.

6. I guess its good to announce the delay early.
    .-= Eric Ridgeway’s latest blog post: 11/18 comics =-.

7. Vinny says:

Booooo Urns.

8. Fastest says:

I predicted January 27th weeks ago because it’s my birthday. We’ll see. I’ve still got my $10 bucks on that day, though.

9. Javi Trujillo says:

Well, if EVS wasn’t posting on facebook so much, it might be done! 😉 I hope Wally gets more screen time in issue #6 and I’m looking forward to the trade since I think I’ll like the story more in one sitting.

10. Rob S. says:

Arrgh! At least we have Blackest Night: Flash to look forward to.
    .-= Rob S.’s latest blog post: Gobble, Gobble. =-.

11. BIGGpookDOGG says:

48 weeks…that’s pretty much double the time that a 6 part miniseries should take. That’s why I’m not reading REBIRTH anymore… what’s the point.