Hey Speed Readers,
So in a sneak attack “stealth release” Warner Bros’ latest direct to DVD animated project, JLA: Trapped In Time will be carried exclusively by Target and will be available in all United States Target Stores next week, January 21st.
Stealth releases are a relatively new tactic where a retailer will release a project (an album, movie, or game) will little to no fanfare. With the past WB Animated film releases we’ve been privy to all kinds of trailers, and screens, and interviews, to generate hype and build anticipation; No one had really heard anything concrete about this film until earlier today. I’m assuming this may have something to do with piracy and the previous leaks of just about every direct to DVD animated release at least two weeks before street date. If this works out it may be a good way to avoid losing sales at least in the short term.
Now I’m not wild about retailer exclusives, and this one couldn’t have come at a worst time. With Target under major scrutiny for losing millions of customer’s data (credit cards, emails, etc) I have to wonder how this will affect sales of the DVD. I guess we will just have to see.
As for the film itself, unlike last year’s incredibly and surprisingly violent Flashpoint Paradox, this one will be all ages and only clocks in at about 52 minutes (this 52 thing is getting out of hand)! It is however only $12.99 so I guess that isn’t too bad. But less than an hour? Really?
JLA: Trapped in Time will also be featuring a decidedly different League with Robin joining his mentor, Batman alongside Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash. I’m not sure if this is the final line-up but those are the characters that appear the cover. Legion Of Superheroes members, Dawnstar and Karate Kid are also featured on the cover but I imagine that has something to do with the “Trapped in Time” part of this more than anything. Kind of an odd line-up if you ask me but I guess with only 52 minutes they wanted to keep it short and simple plus I imagine they are trying to elevate the status of characters that haven’t had recent major motion pictures/animated series (Green Lantern). I do like the inclusion of Robin though, especially if this turns out to be Damien Wayne. I imagine with Bruce’s track record of his sidekicks ending up severely beaten, he would want to keep his 10 year old son fairly close. Of course Flash being there makes me smile and it is also good to see Aquaman who got shafted in the upcoming, Justice League: War and replaced with Captain Marvel (or, ugh, Shazam). Not that I don’t love Captain Marvel but Aquaman is one of the Big Seven and a founder. Not as bad at them replacing Martian Manhunter with Cyborg in the New 52 but pretty close.
While presumably traveling through time, The League will be facing off against their greatest foes in the Legion of Doom. I’m not sure if they will be utilizing the classic team but if so we may have a chance of also seeing Gorilla Grodd and Captain Cold. Personally I have no fondness for the old Super Friends cartoon but with reruns surely running somewhere I imagine that even kids today will recognize the Legion of Doom.
Again, the film goes on sale next Tuesday, January 21, 2014, for $12.99 and is only available through US-based Target locations.
So who plans on picking this up? What are your initial thoughts on the designs and “stealth” advertising? Please let us know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading.
So I was checking out the producer of the film, Giancarlo Volpe’s twitter and I came across something that made me smile:
21 COMMON QUESTIONS ANSWERED ABOUT JLA ADVENTURES: TRAPPED IN TIME
1. This movie is a BRAND NEW 52 minute adventure and a Target exclusive.
2. It has the Hall of Justice and the Legion of Doom in it!
3. Dawnstar and Karate Kid join the JLA from the future!
4. It’s currently available on DVD, no word on BluRay yet
5. I’m pretty sure it’s not available internationally (yet, unfortunately) but that could change in time.
6. I’m not sure if it’s available in Canada ( Canadians, let me know if you get confirmation either way.)
7. Character designs were done by Lynell Forestall, known for creating the Black Lightning shorts for DC Nation! (Also with tons of help from fellow SVA grad Kano “Danny” Kimanyen and Steve Jones).
8. This movie was written by Mike Ryan, the guy behind GLTAS’ “Lost Planet (the Mogo episode)” and “Loss (the episode that causes millions of Fanterns to shriek in horror)”
9. “JLAA: Trapped in Time” is scored by Freddie Wiedmann, the genius behind the music of Green Lantern the Animated Series!
10. This film was animated by the DR Movie, one of the main Korean studios that worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender
11. “JLA: Trapped in Time” is safe for ALL AGES so it’s not as dark as say, “Justice League Flashpoint” or the upcoming “Justice League: War”. Think of it as closer to Avatar’s “Warriors of Kyoshi” or Green Lantern’s “Babel” in tone.
12. Speaking of Avatar, Dante Basco, the voice of Zuko plays Karate Kid!
13. Grey DeLisle (the voice of Avatar’s Azula and Aya from GLTAS) plays Wonder Woman!
14. Jason Spisak, the voice of GLTAS’ Razer and Young Justice’s Wally West plays Flash!
15. Laura Bailey, the voice of Black Widow in Marvel’s Avengers Assemble plays Dawnstar!
16. Diedrich Bader returns to his role as Batman (From Brave and the Bold!)
17. Jack DeSena (the voice of Sokka in Avatar ) plays Robin!
18. Liam O’Brien, (the voice of Naruto’s Gaara) plays Aquaman!
19. It’s my return to traditional animation after 6 years in CG, and also my return to directing after 3 years of only producing.
20. Sadly Green Lantern is not in this one, but in my head canon he was too busy fighting the Aya-Monitor and the Manhunters to participate in this battle. 🙂
21. It comes out Tuesday January 21!!
Now I’m officially excited about this!
Do any of these new tidbits change your mind about picking it up?